Thursday, May 5, 2011

Press "A" to say "Apple".

In The Beginning, There was a blue hole in the wall.  And for a time, it was good.  The first thing I would like to say, is that I'm sorry it has taken me so long to post.  Being in college and finding a job at *insert crap job fast food here* has eaten a lot of my time lately.  That and I have been thinking and pondering on how to make this particular blogger.com game blog have much more pizazz than it does currently.  Visually, that is.  Not content wise, we're fine content wise, but it's so bland to look at.  I know pictures and screen shots of the games I review would be a nice touch, but to be honest, I haven't quite figured out how to get the licensing to do that yet (haven't had time to do the research).  Just keep in mind, some time, hopefully soon, this website will change into something interesting.

But anyways, on to business!

GAMES!  Well, one game.  There have been quite a few releases in the first person shooter box, as has been customary to Xbox 360's general yearly load-out.  Sadly, I just don't have the money to purchase them all.  I have also been playing here and there on the kinect, but not really deep into it to review it just yet.  I plan on doing so in the near future, and first look seems favorable.  There is always a certain line that I look forward too in the first person shooting gallery, and that's games by the almighty Valve. The creators of Half-lifes and Team Fortresses.  From them and their affiliates have come a nifty little physics bending game called "Portal 2" .  Now, mind you Portal was brilliant.  It was a little short, but that was really it's only short fall.  It was one of those games where it made you think, without being impossible.

Portal 2
Platform: Xbox 360, Ps3, PC
Developer: Valve

Rating: 9

I must admit, I wasn't excited for Portal 2 until about a week before it's release.  I'm always...cautious around sequels   They are either really great, or really crap, and most tend to circle the latter.  Portal 2, has been a delight.  There was a lot of "love" put into this game, and it shows in every nook and cranny.

So far, I've only played the single player.  I hear the partner duo multi-player is amazing and even better, but I'm waiting for my schedule to line up with another friend of mine to really get into it.

The easter eggs were fun to stumble upon.  The game was beautifully paced.  One thing I really really enjoyed was the scale of epicness pressed out and onto the player from the scenery.  A lot of times, in quite a few games, scenery is just eye candy, ever out and about, but never interacting.  In Portal 2, quite a lot of it is looking down and up, and you go, down and up.  The voice actors were delightful, some parts had me laughing in tears.  It was fun to see the history of the company, and why things where what and where (which was what I wanted to find out in the first game, lol.)  So yes, really enjoyed it.  And the achievement of "Yes, that did just happen", brilliant.  The end song, like the end song to the first game, was beautifully made, and a very nice progression away and out of the first one.

Now onto the sticky.  Things that just didn't sit well with me.  I didn't like how the beginning of the game had a lot of "Notes from the Underground", and the later stages just didn't.  It wasn't progressive, as I feel wall art is something Valve should have as a continuing theme in all their games.  Some of the levels felt too "constrained" and only offered one solution.  What I feel like portals should be able to do is open multiple solutions to 1 problem, in some, if not most, areas.  Though the story of the game was rather satisfying, it did feel just a little bit short, an hour or so, but not by much.  Regardless, it was delicious.  There's a point in the last boss fight where there is no indication of what to do (rather, there is a lack of a visual directional que at one point that left me lost for a few deaths.)

But really, that's it.  Everything else was very very satisfying.  Had a blast playing it, can't wait till multiplayer....DIBS ON ATLAS!!!!

P.S. I'M IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment